Fret not. This is a photo of all the cake that I did not eat at work. I would like to celebrate a small victory with you. A month ago, I wouldn’t have thought twice about it. I would have had that cake with a massive latte on the side. This month, I briefly glanced at it, and moved on past to get more water. I’m well hydrated and cake-less. It’s the small victories that count.
Week 2 has been great for the most part. I have felt so much more rested, hydrated and have been sticking (mostly) to the meal plans. I had cooked a lot of food, so that left me with a lot of leftovers. I ended up not having to cook for most of the week, and consequently didn’t stick to my original meal plan. Despite me being a bit more fluid with my meal plan, I was proud of myself for still sticking to the paleo diet. I am really getting into the habit of eliminating sugars, grains and ‘out-of-scope’ ingredients. Do I miss them? At the moment, yes, but I think at least the sugar addiction is broken. I don’t crave chocolate/cake/dairy/wine as much as I used to. I can walk by the cake on the tambour unit, and leave unscathed.
I just wanted to note – I didn’t stop the dairy just for the 28 day plan. I’ve stopped drinking milk in December because I think I am lactose intolerant. I used to be as a child, but I thought I grew out of it. I constantly had tummy aches as an adult, and didn’t think it was tied to milk until I stopped drinking it. My tummy doesn’t hurt anymore, and I’m feeling a lot better. I think I miss the lattes more than I miss the chocolate, but thankfully, Starbucks in town does lattes with coconut milk, so once in a while, I can still get my fix.
I had another great moment this week. I had to travel all day for work on Thursday, and I knew that it would be very difficult for me to find food that was ‘in-scope’ on the road. I grabbed the Fed&Fit cookbook and looked at some ideas for easy ‘grab-and-go’ meals. The cold cut roll-ups were a perfect option, so I made myself some of those for lunch, grabbed some almonds, and then I was set! The company we visited provided us with a sandwich and fruit lunch, so I was happy that I took the time with extra preparation. I was able to avoid the sandwiches (and even made everyone else jealous with my roll-ups).
My strengths this week were:
- Staying hydrated! I am drinking a LOT more water than normal
- My meal prep for the week was awesome – I had so much food that I didn’t really need to cook all week
- I listened to what my body needed, and skipped the gym a few times more than normal
- I have been pretty good about not snacking at work (which used to be very hard for me not to do)
- Eating out 3 times- they were ‘paleo-friendly’ choices, but still not part of the weekly plan
- Not exercising enough – I had a lot of
- Not sleeping enough during the week – I still keep distracting myself with my phone/tablet (WHY are internet cats so enticing?)
- Not writing in my journal as much as I would have liked – Retrospective journaling is just not quite the same