I read somewhere that you can replace stock with wine, and I was sold, because… I mean… Wine. So while it may not be purely Paleo, the alcohol would have evaporated out anyway, so really, you’re just getting that bold, rich taste (and none of the drunken fun).
While I was waiting for the soup to cook, I may have taken a short break from my cooking… Cheers guys!
And here is the final product:
Here is the recipe! The original genius goes to Paleo Magazine, but I’m pretty sure I had a lot to do with it… Try it and let me know how it goes!!
Hearty Sausage and Vegetable Soup
2-3 Tbsp coconut oil
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook for about 5-6 minutes, until they start coloring slightly
- Add the brussels sprouts to the pan and let it slightly brown
- Add the rest of the oil and add the onion, carrots, celery, broccoli. Cook for about 10 minutes, or until soft. Note: I usually add salt and pepper at this stage to flavor the veggies
- Sprinkle the garlic, Italian seasoning and the nutmeg to the pan and mix everything together. Let it sit for a minute or two, or until you can smell the garlic and the spices
- Increase the heat, and add the 2 cups of water
- As the soup starts to bubble, start pouring some wine in intermittently while still stirring. Allow to boil for a few minutes
- Reduce the heat to low and stir in the kale and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes
- Stir in the coconut milk and season with some more salt and pepper
- Serve and enjoy (with maybe some wine!)
If you have any inquiries or questions, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org